You are here

0191 510 1100
0191 567 2774
Queen Alexandra Road, Grangetown, Sunderland SR2 9PF

Sunderland RCA 2 Carlisle United U19s 0

Submitted by Simon Mears on Thursday, 13 September 2018
Thursday, 13 September 2018

Dimitri Limbo gave RCA an early lead with a good finish.

For more photos from the match please click here.

Sunderland RCA welcomed Carlisle United under 19s to Meadow Park for tonight's friendly.

RCA lined up as follows: Kokoska; Richardson; McNab; Preston; Lilley; Larkin; Clayton Davis; O'Neill; Robinson; Kyle Davis; Limbo.

RCA opened the scoring in the ninth minute - a ball was played up to O'Neill, who flicked the ball on with his head into the path of Limbo, who did well to hold off his man as he advanced to the edge of the penalty area before finishing well with a low shot into the bottom corner. Just two minutes later and RCA were awarded a free-kick on the left after a foul on Limbo. McNab delivered a deep cross and O'Neill rose well at the far post to head the ball across goal and off the base of the near post, and the loose ball was cleared.

Carlisle had a good chance to equalise in the 15th minute when the ball was played in from the right and stabbed wide. In the 39th minute RCA were awarded a penalty kick after Larkin was tripped driving into the Carlisle penalty area. Larkin picked himself up before slotting the ball home from the spot to double the lead. As half-time approached Carlisle's lively number ten broke at speed down the right before delivering a good, low cross which was half cleared. The ball was crossed back in from the left and the same player headed the ball back into the danger area at the far post but the ball was cleared by Larkin.

Half-time: Sunderland RCA 2 Carlisle United U19s 0

During the break, RCA made a double substitution, with Greg Swanbury replacing Ross Preston, and Mark Davison coming on for Sam Robinson. Nine minutes into the second half and RCA were forced into a third substitution as Colin Larkin limped off with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Luke Page. The second half produced no further goals, but both sides created openings - Carlisle’s number four fired in a shot from 25 yards which was saved. And, at the other end, Page fired in a shot from all of 30 yards which was deflected behind for a corner. From the corner kick, Lilley side footed the ball narrowly wide of the post. In the final ten minutes, Davison turned well on the edge of the penalty area before firing in a shot that was saved.

A good workout for RCA tonight against an energetic Carlisle United under 19 side. But the victory may have come at a heavy price - hopefully Colin Larkin's hamstring injury isn't too serious.

Thanks very much to everyone involved at Carlisle United for making the trip to RCA on a Thursday evening.

RCA return to Northern League action on Saturday, 15 September, when we visit Sam Smith's Park, home of Newcastle Benfield. Kick-off is at 3pm.